Thursday, December 18, 2008

13 going on 30

So I have a pet peeve.
Lately, when I have been out and about conversing with people, I will make jokes that I am too old to be at certain bars. Then I will be asked, "Well how old are you?" Then I will say my age, which is 30. Every single time they say, "Well you don't look it!" I understand that this is meant to be a compliment. I am glad that I don't look like an old lady at the bar drinking scotch. What I hear, however, when people say this to me is since I look young I must act young and think young. I have 30 years of experiences and forgive me if I don't want to date guys who are 21-25 years old. Just because I look young doesn't mean that I automatically must go to bars in Lincoln Park. I get really offended by this. I like to converse with people in their 30's too! I like to talk to people from the graduating class of 2000. It doesn't mean that I don't enjoy my younger friends and there really isn't much of a difference in maturity after 25 anyway. It just really bothers me so much whenever I hear the words, "Well you don't look it!" One day I will really appreciate it and I will regret this blog, but for right now it really bothers me. :)

No comments: